Saturday, August 16, 2014

Volunteering at Pandawas Academy Part 2

So let me resume my story. I continued volunteering at Pandawas Academy again, and I taught back Miss F. from last week. Today, we moved on to action verbs, whereby I would teach her how to answer when people ask "what did you do" ? We learned 15 of them in total, including peeing. Haha. It was quite fun, and I have to act it out, and it takes a lot of time for her to get my questions at times, but I am quite persistent eh. So *pats on the back for me* :) It started with initially requiring me acting out a lot so you can imagine me being quite animated on the desk. But it was good, because this sparks her learning interest, and every time if she forgets and I reminded her she will have the "AHHHH" moment. So probably she is learning something. We did some math questions too, addition and subtraction - but more to explore regarding her math talent in the future for our engineer to be! When we ended the session, I spoke good bye to her in Farsi, and she cuddled around me and gave me a big hug, which was kind of a heart-warming moment for me. :)

Other additional info I have learnt about refugees in Malaysia :
These refugees can't get any sort of qualifications coz they don't take any formal examination in Malaysia, so they would be leaving with whatever the refugee school has taught them. Even though education seems to be of least importance in the priority ranks for the refugees, but education is most important in helping them move up the social ladder in the future. If only they can see the world beyond this.

No comments: